Sunday, March 14, 2004

Bracket Fallout

Immediate Reactions:
1. Utah State got screwed, no question about it. It is inexcusable for the committee to leave out a 25-3 (RPI 42) team just because they lost in their conference tournament by one point at the buzzer.
2. No respect for the Big 10. Despite being a "down year" for the Big 10, there is no excuse for seeding the regular season champion (Illinois: 24-6, RPI 21, 12 straight wins until today) a 5, and the conference tournament champion (Wisconsin: 24-6, RPI 16) a 6 seed. Both should be much higher.
3. I'm glad I was wrong about Colorado. Richmond is a much more deserving team. I just didn't think the committee had enough balls to take a school from a smaller conference, given their love affair with BCS schools in past years.

Well I got 63 out of 65 teams right, not bad for an amateur, with 35 teams seeded correctly. My goal was 65 teams with 40 seeds correct, which was lofty, so I am pleased with the result. I even had the Washington/UAB game correct, just with the seeding switched (8/9 games are always a toss up). I was also correct in my assertion that the committee completely ignores sunday afternoon games in completing the bracket, which was actually confirmed by the spokesman on the CBS selection show. Aside from the Big 10 seeding travesty, all teams which I mis-seeded were off by 1, except for Louisville (who the committee seeded way too low) and Seton Hall (who was seeded way too high).

All in all, a good showing, I'll be sending that resume into Sports Illustrated and Fox Sports sometime soon (hell, if Tom Arnold can work for Fox, anyone can)

No comments: